Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Me Oh My Cherry Pie!

Without the red dye!
 

 
Ok, I'm done rhyming now. ;)
 

 
First things first you'll need some crust.
I make my Grandma Linda's Lard Pie Crust.
You can find the recipe on my old blog, birds of the air, here.
You'll need a couple lovely egg yolks such as these laid by my own dear Jemima Puddle Duck.
 

 
Now for the filling!
You need 3 cans of tart cherries in water.
I normally have to buy Oregon brand cherries,
but thankfully my beloved Aldi was offering their own canned cherries recently.
(For about 1/2 the price! Score!)
You'll drain the cherry "juice" into a pyrex measuring cup & use 1/2 of it in the filling.
 
 
Here are what the cherries look like before you cook them.
Rather pale, but never fear they'll turn a lovely ruby red before we're through!
 
 
After a few minutes of simmering they are beautiful!
 
Here is the recipe:
3 cans red tart cherries in water
4T cornstarch
1 1/4c sugar
1/8t salt
2 pie crusts
 
In a heavy bottomed saucepan combine cherries with 1 1/2 cans worth of their "juice", cornstarch, sugar, & salt. Bring to a simmer and cook over med-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Set aside to cool. Preheat oven to 425*F. Roll out crusts. Line pie plate with one. Pour in the filling. Make a lattice top. Brush with egg white. Bake on a foil lined baking sheet for 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 375*F, cover crust with a foil shield & bake for 30-40 minutes more. Let cool about 3 hours to allow pie to set properly.
(I found this great recipe via Pinterest.  Here is the original recipe source.)
I've always had trouble with cherry pies not setting up properly & not having that beautiful red without red dye #40. This recipe solved both problems. Yay!
 
 
All ready for tomorrow!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
^_^

4 comments:

  1. Ah Hah! You're finally giving away your pie secrets! That looks absolutely divine! Wish I had a piece of that pie. Happy Thanksgiving dear friend, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell you any of my pie making secrets that you want to know, Deb! :) I'll have to make one of these puppies for our next get together. :D

      Happy Thanksgiving! <3

      Delete
  2. Looks beautiful and delicious! I have wanted to make a homemade cherry pie for a while now. I have only ever made cherry pies with canned cherry pie filling. So nice to know that Aldi's carries canned cherries. I hope to try your recipe soon. : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, put your 2 cents in!