Thursday, October 22, 2015

be still my soul...

 
This old hymn has been on my mind the past couple days...
this verse in particular.
Last night I made this little picture of said verse...
and then I opened my Bible to read a little before bed.
I've been reading through the gospels again.
Want to guess what chapter I "happened" to be ready to read?
Luke 8
In this chapter is one of the records of Jesus rebuking the wind & waves.
(Don't you just love when the Lord causes these little "coincidences"?)
 
{Luke 8:22-25 NASB}
 
"Now on one of those days Jesus and His disciples got into a boat, and He said to them, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they launched out.
But as they were sailing along He fell asleep; and a fierce gale of wind descended on the lake, and they began to be swamped and to be in danger.
They came to Jesus and woke Him up, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!” And He got up and rebuked the wind and the surging waves, and they stopped, and it became calm.
And He said to them, “Where is your faith?” They were fearful and amazed, saying to one another,
 
 “Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?”
 
Who indeed?
My Lord & my God.
 
He Who can calm the wind & surging waves can certainly calm my little heart.
 
Hearts are funny little things aren't they?
You can know something in your mind, but hearts are awful slow in getting the message.
 
I've just been pondering these verses & thoughts.
Nothing too deep or concrete to share...
just...
thinking.
 
I found this lovely rendition of this much loved hymn.
I've no idea who this gal is, and some extra words have been added.
I usually don't like when people add to old hymns
(I'm just not big on change. ;P )
but I don't think any harm has been done here. ;)






And now I'm going to sleep.

(Well...probably listen to this song a few times...but...)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, put your 2 cents in!